West Ham 3 vs Watford 1: The hornets get hammered

In the dying games, battling for survival inside the Premier League, West Ham dominated the first half as they produced three goals in the first 45 minutes.

6′ Michail Antonio, West Ham, opened up the scoreline on the turn as he was able to slot it past Watford’s goalkeeper, Ben Foster.

49′ Troy Deeney, Watford FC, was the striker to end Lukasz Fabianski’s clean sheet as he smashed it past the West Ham ‘keeper early on in the second half.

Both sides decided to run with an identical star-shaped, 4-2-3-1, formation as the teams went head-to-head with the threat of relegation hanging over their heads.

Watford got the game going and seemed to have a strong start, pressuring the West Ham defence – to no success. However, West Ham worked effectively to return the favour to the visitors.

6′ Antonio opened up the scoreline after his teammate, Pablo Fomals, was able to squeeze the ball through the Watford defence towards the Londoner. On the turn, from the left-hand side of Watford’s goal, he was able to gracefully slot it in towards the right corner the visitors net, this left the Watford ‘keeper powerless.

West Ham 1 – Watford 0

10′ It was only four minutes until West Ham doubled their lead when a cross flew in from the right-hand side, delivered by the Hammer’s right winger, Jarrod Bowen. Tomas Soucek, who positioned himself at the back post, climbed above Watford’s centre-back, Christian Kabsele, and headed it into the back netting of the visitors goal.

West Ham 2 – Watford 0

In the run-up to the drinks break, the Hammers continued with their momentum as they looked to increase their scoreline. On the other hand, Watford seemed to collapse under the pressure from the opening goal and failed to clear their lines with consistency.

28′ There was a temporary break in the play as Aaron Cresswell, West Ham, went down after he was hit in the face by Ismaila Sarr’s forearm, when he attempted to head the ball. After a check from VAR, it was decided there would be no action taken against the Hornets right-winger, in regards to violent conduct.

31′ One-on-three for Sarr, as he collected the long ball, that was played down the middle, he charged towards the left side of the goal, Fabianski was protected as his defenders stopped the threatening charge.

36′ Declan Rice, West Ham, collected the ball from Mark Noble on the left wing, outside the box, and sent in a screamer, over the helpless hornets, who could only watch as the ball dipped into the right-hand side of the Watford net, which left Foster unable to react.

End of first half: West Ham 3 – Watford 0

45′ Watford made the first substitution of the game, sending Adrian Mariappa on for, left back, Adam Masina.

49′ Abdoulaye Doucoure, Watford, tried to slot it past the West Ham goalkeeper, Fabianski, with pressure from the West Ham defense. He managed to get it past the ‘keeper. However, it was the right goal post which rejected the goal. As it bounced it into the center of the box, it was right place, right time for Troy Deeney who was waiting patiently to smash it into the net, past Cresswell who was guarding the right post.

West Ham 3 – Watford 1

67′ Second sub for Watford, Deeney came off to make way for Andre Gray to play the fresh lone striker for the trailing side as they looked to end up the two-goal deficit.

Watford were more aggressive in the second half compared to the first 45 minutes, which have forced West Ham to work defensively to avoid a Watford comeback. Whereas, West Ham have seemed to keep up the same pace they had in the first half. They have pressured the Hornets back four with some good chances on goal – to no avail.

72′ Both sides made a switch as Watford took Doucoure off for Nathaniel Chalobah. While West Ham substituted the left winger, Formals, for Sebastien Haller.

81′ Another midfield substitution for West Ham as Bowen was brought off for Andriy Yarmolenko.

In the dying minutes of the game, Watford seemed to be desperate in finding two goals from somewhere as five minutes were given for added time. However, West Ham defended well in their final third to maintain their two-goal lead.

94′ the first goalscorer of the match, Antonio was subbed off for Fabian Balbuena as West Ham’s last substitution of the game.

Watford, defensive midfielders, Tom Cleverley and Will Hughes were the only players to receive yellow cards for earlier incidents in the first half of the match.

Man of the match: Angelo Ogbonna

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s